My entire life, I’ve always had great respect for people who did things alone- eating in a restaurant by themselves, going to the doctor by themselves, traveling by themselves. I was always amazed that people could do all that because I never thought I was the type of person who could be so comfortable by myself. That is, until now. This semester abroad has given me so much confidence, I feel like I can do anything! There is no metro system too difficult to figure out, no language barrier too strong, no problem that cannot be outsmarted.
With all this newfound confidence in life, I decided to take matters into my own hands and do the ultimate adult thing- go to Prague all by myself! It sounded a bit crazy, and my mom was definitely not happy about it at first, but going to Prague ended up being one of my favorite trips of the semester.
Here are just a few reasons why everyone should take a solo trip at some point in your life:
1. You can eat whatever you want! For me, this meant going to some of the best (albeit most expensive) restaurants in Prague. Experiencing new food when I travel to new locations is my top priority, but it isn’t everyone’s. This time, I didn’t have anyone to hold me back from having a gourmet meal! (For an extremely unique and mind-blowing meal, be sure to visit Sansho– you won’t be disappointed.)
2. Silence is golden. I absolutely love people, all the new friends I’ve made, and traveling with them has been amazing! But sometimes constantly being with people is exhausting. It’s nice to go to a new city where you don’t know anyone, and you don’t have to utter a single word if you don’t want to. Introverts understand what I mean.
3. Your schedule is the only one that matters. I tend to be a bit of an early bird, but my friends are quite the opposite- and it can be frustrating to try to get everyone up in the morning to go see the sights. This time, however, I could wake up as early as I wanted and take the extra hour to hike across town to find that one specific coffee shop I was looking for. And it didn’t matter if I got lost, because my time was all mine!
4. You can participate in group activities. It’s hard to organize a large group of people to sign up for activities, so I’d never been able to do any of the tours I’d wanted to take. But this time? I signed up for a food tour and had the best four hours of my life. If you’re ever in Prague, sign up for a Taste of Prague tour (or at the very least, check out their restaurant guide. Prague is home to some of the best restaurants in the world)!
5. You can stop to take as many photos as you want. Because there’s no one to yell at you to “hurry up!” when you’re busy trying to take the perfect shot. The only downside to being alone for this is you are forced to either a) take selfies or b) hunt down another lone wolf and ask them to take pictures of you.
6. You can “discover” yourself. I know it’s an overused cliche, but it’s so true- when you go on a journey by yourself, you have time to figure out who you really are and what you really want. Sometimes when life gets busy, you can forget to focus on yourself and your needs, so it’s nice to take a little “me” time every once in awhile, and traveling alone is the perfect excuse!
So the next time you want to go somewhere or do something and can’t recruit anyone to go with you- forget about them. Go by yourself, eat at a restaurant by yourself, and simply relish in the glory of being in charge of your own destiny.
Happy traveling (solo)!